Adjust your search

Accommodation in more than one unit:

Distance from the sea

Distance from the center

Price for the apartment per night


Rovinj is a small town situated on the west coast of the County of Istria. It was mentioned for the first time in a literary piece “Cosmographia” under the name of Castrum Rubini. Based on information from the “Cosmographia” it is possible to conclude that Rovinj was founded sometime between the 3rd and 5th centuries. Rovinj’s surroundings were inhabited even in the bronze and metal age. It’s historical, medieval core is on a small hill of what used to be a little island dominated by the St. Euphemia church with tower bell. St. Euphemia is the patron saint of Rovinj. The spot where this church stands today is the exact one where Castrum Rubini was located and later on renamed to Ruigno, Ruiginio, Rovigno. No story can be told about Rovinj without it mentioning the unusual tale of a floating stone sarcophagus washed out by the sea on the beach in front of the town in the year 800. When the surprised townspeople opened it up, they found a body of a young girl inside together with a parchment saying: "Hic est corpus Euphemiae Sancte!" (This is the body of St. Euphemia). This Christian martyr from Caledonia is to this date the patron saint of Rovinj. The beginnings of tourism are connected with medieval pilgrimages to Rovinj in honor of St. Euphemia.

Through centuries of stormy history this area has seen many different rulers: Byzantines, Lombards, mighty German feudal families, powerful naval force Venice and the Austrian empire. 

During the Venetian rule on the northern Adriatic in the 13th century, Rovinj leaned over to the Venetians too together with Umag, Poreč and Novigrad in order to preserve it’s mercantile and nautical interests. It kept its freedom only seemingly, and its autonomy was restricted. A sudden mercantile and nautical development happened in the same time period. In the 17th and 18th century, Rovinj is the center of Istria where fishing, naval and shipbuilding industry is concerned. After the short Napoleon rule, the Austrians come to power in 1813. During this time Rovinj has developed in an industrial, naval and cultural sense.

Tourism development began in Rovinj as early as 19th century. In 1888, the Maria Theresia Seehospitz sanatorium was built. It was mostly visited by children from the Austrian Empire, Germany and Russia. Today, the Rovinj Riviera is marked by a dozen hotels, camps, tourist settlements, marinas and bathing resorts. Numerous restaurants, summer festivities, sports’ recreations and beautiful beaches are there to guarantee a pleasant and interesting vacation.

The Canal of Lemme

The Canal of Lemme (Limski kanal) is a unique phenomenon on the Istrian shore. Although its appearance is similar to that of a fjord, it is different from the fjord because it was not formed as the result of glacier activity but of river flow activity. It is 600 meters wide and its cliffs rise 150m above the sea. The salinity of the sea inside the bay is low due to the river’s inflow that causes the formation of a different eco system than the one in the open sea. Due to its ecological characteristics and large temperature differences throughout the year, the waters of the canal are teeming with diverse flora and fauna. The cultivation of shells has a rich tradition in this area. The forested slopes of the bay are especially interesting are for botanical research.In the vicinity of the canal there are the ruins of Dvigrad, a city whose turbulent history reaches into prehistoric times. Dvigrad was abandoned in 1714 and only the remains of once-strong walls testify to its past.